Installing created screen savers
Screen savers can be installed in various ways depending on how they are distributed.
Installing from a setup package
A self-installing setup package is the easiest way to distribute screen savers. This package is a simple program file that when launched will install your screensaver automatically.
To install a screensaver package
- Open or launch the screensaver setup package file.
- Follow the instructions.
Installing from a CD or DVD
To install screensaver from a CD or DVD disc
- Load the CD or DVD disc.
- If the screensaver setup does not start automatically within 20 seconds, follow these steps:
- Open My Computer or Computer to access your CD or DVD contents
- Browse your CD or DVD drive for the screensaver setup package file
- Double-click the file to start the setup.
- Follow the instructions. Setup program will install the screensaver for you.
Installing an SCR file
If you distribute your screensaver as a simple standalone SCR file, the user must install it manually.
To install a screensaver file
- Copy the SCR file to the Windows folder (usually it is C:\Windows\). This is an optional step, but it ensures that your screensaver stays in the list of available screen savers even if another screensaver is installed.
- Right-click on the file and select Install.
Performing a silent install
Self-installing screensaver setup packages support silent install. To perform a silent install, use command line parameter -silent. You can specify a custom install folder after the -silent parameter; if you choose to do so, make sure you include the path within double quotes.
- myscreensaver.exe -silent "c:\program files\my screensaver"
- myscreensaver.exe -silent